Sunday, March 31, 2013

Zip it!

I've gotten a little sidetracked lately by these little zippered pouches, a project of our Modern Quilt Guild. We're having a swap at the next meeting and I've been having a blast designing these. They're like potato chips; you can't have just one!



This one will go to the next guild meeting. We are each bringing a pouch we made in a brown paper bag so it is hidden from view - it will be interesting to see how they do the swap!  Can't wait to see what I get!!!  I hope this one delights the person who gets it!!!




The quilting was done in straight lines with a walking foot, with smaller spacing at the top and gradually widening toward the bottom to give it a nice texture.


I had fun with the polka-dot ribbon and cute lime green print fabric. The ribbon made a perfect handle!



This colorful little airplane pouch is the first one I ever made - and my first time putting in a zipper!  I was SO proud. It was a perfect gift for my sister on her birthday. 


The airplane was fussy-cut from the same fabric I used in a quilt I made for her husband, a pilot, in 2000!  It was so satisfying to find some still in my stash!




Here's a photo showing the quilting detail...


See the red-striped fabric at the end of the zipper? That is a cool technique taught by Suzanne at Strawberry Patches - we learned how to do it at the last Modern Quilt Guild meeting!



This Celtic-inspired bag was made for a friend who has a fondness for the emerald green isles...




The celtic knot was cut from gold-colored fabric, fused on the lighter green-striped background, and then satin-stitched around the edges. 


The quilting always shows the best from the back side!



The handle was made with the same fabric as the pouch and finished with a 
decorative stitch using dark green Sulky quilting thread. The pouch was lined with fabric matching the lighter green color. Viola!




No comments:

Post a Comment