Friday, March 8, 2013

"Emeralds" in the woods


"Square-Cut Emeralds"
34 x 24 inches

Today I finished this "modern quilt" and photographed it in our woodsy back yard. It was inspired by the "Pantone 2013 Color of the Year" Emerald Quilt Challenge, created by Ali at www.asquaredw.com.

2013 Emerald Quilt Challenge

I free-cut everything with my rotary cutter (no measuring, no ruler) for a "wonky" effect when the slight curves were pieced together, which reminds me of the Gee's Bend quilts. The blue-green squares represent square-cut emeralds, and the white stripe in the center represents the "sparkle" of the gemstone. I quilted it in one big spiral with my walking foot. I've included pictures of earlier stages of the quilt and the back ...




Putting the units together ....













I decided on the neutral tan, or beige, color for the background. And began playing with the idea of corners to create the illusion of a frame.



Here are alternate versions of the quilt, which I decided not to do because a) they take away from the illusion of the abstract emeralds, and b) they just don't look right!





Here is the back of the quilt, with my cutting table and computer in the foreground and UFOs on my wall. I notice a lot of quilting studios look similar to this, so I know I'm in good company!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I like it! Very groovy. I also like that you free-cut everything. That appeals to the rebel in me. Nice. I also love that you posted a link to your blog. I will bookmark it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Linda! I like that we're both rebels, even if our rebellion is limited to the art world these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your talent and creativity blow me away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really admire this - it's very different and I love the abstract emeralds idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine,
    I noticed you are also in the Pantone Emerald Quilt Challenge so I went and found your quilt. It is beautiful! I especially love the way it echoes the beauty of your grandmother's ring. Thanks for your comments: this is my first time doing an online challenge and I was a little nervous about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too! and good luck in the contest!:-)

      Delete
  6. adechka
    oh my gosh! thank you! This is new to me so your comment is very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this quilt with us at the guild meeting today, Sharon. It is a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! Your wonderful presentation of "modern quilts" last month gave me the inspiration and energy to go for it!

    ReplyDelete