Thursday, April 4, 2013

What's on YOUR wall?

Once a week or so (however it works best) I'm going to do something very brave. I've decided to take a photo of my studio wall... and post it, just as is. No editing, no waiting until it's further along, etc. I will show work in process, I will expose the underbelly of artistic endeavor. These photos show the raw beginnings of a piece, where I have just started to "play" with fabrics and colors. Usually I work from a sketch or pattern I've already committed to paper; but sometimes I like to start with the fabric, cutting and moving it around on the wall until the form begins to emerge, like this. Of course there are many more steps between here and the final piece, so it may end up looking totally different. As long as I am enjoying the process, it's a-okay.




Art does not just "happen," and it took me a long time to understand this. When a piece I saw in my head failed to appear in actuality, I was very critical of myself and would despair. Fortunately, I knew other artists and had watched them go through the struggle. They took classes, they read articles and books, they did practice pieces, they applied discipline to their craft. Why do we think art is different than any other endeavor? It must be developed and honed so that the work matches the vision. Ira Glass of "This American Life," describes it perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbC4gqZGPSY

So... I'm thinking everybody has a "wall" (even if we can't see it) where they keep work-in-process.
What's on YOUR wall?


2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Love the courage to show the "underbelly"... I am tempted to follow your lead and do the same thing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Patricia! Actually it was something you did that gave me the idea! I can't remember exactly, but I do recall thinking how you were fearless in showing some of your process!

      Delete