Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Blue tortoise

I was playing with these pretty blocks late one night (see below) and before I knew it this wonderful blue sea tortoise began to emerge. 


Here are a couple of the blocks in progress... 
I love the sea green and aqua colors and wanted to get the impression of light from the sun filtering down into the water.


However... the longer I worked, the more my turtle seemed to pull back into his shell. Like a true turtle, he was s-l-o-w!!! Everything that could go wrong, did. I ran out of the shade of bright blue fabric I was using, my thread snarled and broke, and I stitched the wrong sides together.

After an entire afternoon and evening of trying to force this reluctant fellow to become the gorgeous creature I knew he could be, I realized it was not happening. So I let him swim away to hibernate a little longer. Perhaps this summer he will stick his head out and join me in the studio again...



2 comments:

  1. Love your description of how he revealed his need to hibernate a little longer. I've found that's the way with some projects... In cleaning out a closet yesterday, I found two halves of a ceramic fish that needs to be finished. But he may need to swim away and hang out with your turtle for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah... it might be a cool idea to do a show of UFOs, where different artists each bring out an unfinished piece and the story behind it. I think that would be interesting to artists and non-artists, and educational as far as the process of "making art." It doesn't just magically appear!

      Delete